Thursday, July 23, 2009

Spreadsheets

I enjoyed learning about the spreadsheet project Ms. Kathryn Pishl created for her students on volcanoes. Her project included 4th grade students getting onto specific internet sites and looked up information in five specific areas about volcanoes. They also wrote the data on a worksheet created by the teacher and then entered that data into an Excel spreadsheet. The students worked in groups and collaborated on the specific areas the teacher wanted them to include in their project. After the students entered their information into the spreadsheet, the teacher projected the information onto a large screen so everyone in the class could see. From the spreadsheet, Ms. Pishl showed the students how to transform the range of information on volcanoes into a graph. It was visually appealing and the students seemed to enjoy looking at the information and come to understand just what it all meant.

I can see this project easily being transformed into something that would fit the lower grades. Rather than the students researching five areas, I would have them research one or two main points and show the students the ten specific states where volcanoes are located. I would also limit their search to a few web sites that would include all the information they need. Since the information is consolidated and simplified, children of younger grades can benefit from this spreadsheet project as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment